Beef Tallow Fries
English-style potatoes fried in tallow
- Difficulty (0 = Caveman, 5 = Thomas Keller): 2
- Serving size: 4
- Prep/cook time: 30 mins
- Meat temp: N/A
- 6 russet potatoes
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 3 cups beef tallow
- In a fryer or deep skillet, get your tallow to 365°F – Yes, temp it.
- Slice your fries to your desire – Wedges is easiest for a beginner, but you can’t go wrong with a steak fry.
- Fry the potatoes for 10 min. Watch the temp or they will get too hot and burn.
- Remove from the oil and let rest for 5 min, then return to oil for 5 min, or 8-10 min for crispy.
- Since all the potatoes won’t fit at once, work in batches – While the first batch is cooling for 5 min, cook the second batch for 10 min, which makes the rest time longer (and that’s ok)
- Drain excess oil from the fries on a paper towel and add to a bowl. Careful, the bowl will get hot!
- Add paprika and salt.
- For a bonus, get some powdered vinegar.
Myk Walton is a Professional Chef who loves to share his culinary creations (and music, family, etc.) on Instagram (@mykwalton). He named his Designer Beef cow “Gomer” and has dedicated himself to making the most of Gomer’s sacrifice by helping others do the same!