Japanese Ginger Soup
This is a soul warming soup. It can be served warm or cold. Once your family gets a taste- they’ll be hooked.
- Difficulty (0 = Caveman, 5 = Thomas Keller): 4
- Serving size: 4-6
- Prep/cook time: 2 hours 20 min.
- Meat temp: Well-done
- 2 beef tails
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 cups daikon radish, diced
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 8 oz beef stew meat
- 4 oz ginger, grated
- 4 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 4 oz wake wakame seaweed, sliced thin
- 2 tbsp MSG
- 2 tbsp miso paste
- 4 cups dried shiitake mushrooms
- In a large pot, add the broth, soy sauce, daikon, scallion, ginger, sesame oil, wakame, MSG, miso paste, tails and mushrooms.
- Stir well and simmer on low heat.
- In another pan, heat the olive oil and sear the stew meat hard (about 3 minutes per side).
- Remove from heat and slice into thin strips.
- Add to the broth.
- Simmer on low for 2 hours, adding water as needed to keep the broth full (taste often, as reducing broths get saltier).
- Serve and enjoy.
Need more help?
Have questions on the recipe or how to prepare your Designer Beef? Shoot an email to our Chef: email@example.com
Myk Walton is a Professional Chef who loves to share his culinary creations (and music, family, etc.) on Instagram (@mykwalton). He named his Designer Beef cow “Gomer” and has dedicated himself to making the most of Gomer’s sacrifice by helping others do the same!