As mentioned in our previous blog, we will be kicking off our Uncommon Cuts blog series starting off with the delicious beef shanks. Here’s a refresher on what the shank is:
The shank from cows comes from beneath the brisket. It is cut from above the knee to the shoulder. Shanks are usually cut about 1 to 1 ½ inches thick, and they look like a traditional steak, but with a circular bone inside the middle. Because of the bone, and its marrow, they are considered nutritious cuts of meat.
Today, we’ll be sharing our very special Osso Buco recipe with you. Osso Buco translate to “bone with a hole”. This isn’t your typical osso buco recipe that you can find anywhere on the web, mind you. It’s osso buco made “Mike’s way”. If you want the traditional Osso Buco recipe, we’ll also link it at the bottom of the blog. If you’re feeling more adventurous, continue reading to get the recipe.
Osso Buco Mike’s Way
- 2-3 Beef Shanks
- Olive Oil
- 1 cup broth (or more if desired)
- 1 large onion
- 1 stalk of celery
- Steak Seasoning
- In a cast iron skillet with Olive Oil brown an onion and sear the shanks until they are almost burned.
- Using beef broth or wine, clean out the cast iron and pour everything into the instant pot.
- Place the shanks, garlic, steak seasoning, salt, pepper, and celery into the Instant Pot (or other pressure cooker you have available).
- Pour at least one cup of broth into the Instant Pot. (Note: You can add more if you would like to because the bone marrow in the shanks will transform your regular broth into delicious bone broth and it’s so good for you! Mike and his family drink it plain because of all the health benefits.
- Set your Instant Pot to pressure cook on high for 2 ½ hours (Note: this will cook quite a few shanks at once so lessen the time if you are only cooking 2).
- Once it’s done, release the pressure naturally and then open up the Instant Pot.
- Serve the melt-in-your-mouth shanks with some fresh bread and butter. If the marrow is still in the shank bone, take it out and spread it over your bread with some salt, pepper and garlic powder.
Once you give Mike’s Way a try, you can dive into the traditional osso Buco recipe here.
Whichever way you like it, we hope you start using osso buco in your weekly dinners.
Bon appetite! Don’t forget to share this delicious recipe with your friends and family.